With summer already in full effect and many of us looking to fill the time close to home, here’s a few selections of great wine varietals (and wine mixes!) that go well with hot days and warm nights. Of course, that’s assuming you’ve already tried our killer Sangría recipe, which should be first on any list.
Break Out The BBQ
Need to match the wine in your glass with the food on your grill? We’ve got you covered.
- Chardonnay: Goes best with lightly seasoned food, particularly rich fish like Salmon, Tuna, Trout, or Rockfish. It’s also a great pick for veggie burgers!
- Pinot Noir: Goes great with most grilled foods with spices and sauces. Stands up well to smoky flavors and is great with grilled pork and Salmon (if you’re looking for a red option).
- Pinot Grigio or Pinot Gris: Fruity, citrusy flavors are perfect for warm weather but are even better paired with something spicy.
- Malbec or California Cabernet: Goes well with hearty foods like grilled steak or ribs.
- Sauvignon Blanc or Sancerre: Grilled fish, chicken, and veggies are all amazing with Sauvignon Blanc’s bright acidity and citrus.
- Merlot or Zinfandel: Match with bold flavors like rubs full of spices or a zesty BBQ sauce.
Need help picking that perfect wine? Don’t worry, First Bottle has put together an amazing six bottle BBQ sampler that is sure to please. $151 with ground shipping included. Just don’t forget to use code “GRILLMASTER” which you check out to get that 15% discount.
Whites for Lounging by The Pool
White wine and warm weather are a perfect pair. Enjoy these summery white wines indoors, outdoors, and poolside!
- Pinot Grigio: Has a nice bright acidity that’s perfect for warm weather sipping.
- Sauvignon Blanc: Crisp, refreshing, and ready to take on the heat.
- Riesling: Sweet or dry, whatever your preference. Both types are perfect for the season.
- Bordeaux: Whites are perfect this time of year.
- Chenin Blanc: A super refreshing and great way to cool down.
Bubbles are amazing on a hot day. Not sure if it’s indoctrination from all of the Coke and Pepsi ads growing up, but it just works. Champagne, Cava, Crémant, Sekt, and of course, Prosecco. Speaking of Prosecco, why not make it a “Fizzy Float”?
- Bottle of Prosecco
- 3 scoops lemon sorbet
- Lemon slice
- Scoop the lemon sorbet into wine glasses.
- Add a lemon slice and blueberries.
- Top with Prosecco and serve immediately.
Rosé All Day
Yes, the quintessential summer drink. Don’t worry, we got you covered here. And if you’re looking to kick your Rosé up a notch, why not make it a “Frosé”?
- 1 Standard 750mL bottle of Rosé
- 1/2 cup fresh watermelon syrup (or
- 1/2 cup fresh watermelon juice
- 1/2 Lime, juiced
- Watermelon slices for garnish
- The night before, pour part of the bottle of Rosé into 2 ice cube trays and freeze.
- In a blender combine the remaining Rosé with the ice cubes, watermelon syrup, watermelon juice, and lime juice.
- Blend until it is a slushy-like consistency.
- Scoop the Frosé into your glasses and garnish with a watermelon wedge.
Soak It Up
Whatever your preference, enjoy the sunshine. While Summer this year may not take you to exotic destinations, one sip of your favorite summer wine after a long week can transport you anywhere. Happy Hunting!
Did you like this content? If you did, let us know and share it with your friends.
This page contains affiliate links. We receive a small compensation when you purchase through affiliate links. While clicking these links won’t cost you a cent, it will help us keep the lights on and buy more wine. To find out more, click here.